After the championship disappointment last Tuesday evening,
Ardboe were in bad need of a league win to boost their spirits but Omagh ended
Ardboe’s unbeaten league run in our neighbour’s grounds, Ballinderry by a
single point.

 Both teams come the final whistle
were reduced to 14 players but Ardboe could rue their untaken chances through
out the encounter.

 ommy McGuigan opened the scoring after two minutes after a
high ball in from John McConville that was well taken by Gavin Wylie who dished
the ball off to McGuigan who slotted the ball over.  Omagh immediately replied but again Tommy
McGuigan restored Ardboe’s lead. Some persistent fouling eventually brought
about a free kick that Frank McGuigan easily struck over and a drag down on
Gavin Wylie let McGuigan hit over his second free. As the game entered the
second quarter Omagh started to come more into the game adding another point
although a well saved effort from Nishy O’Neill was followed by a goal from
Omagh with 18 minutes gone. Now with the momentum with them and a few hefty
tackles, the St. Endas were able to pick off anther two free kicks. Frank
McGuigan kept Ardboe in touch with a free kick but the Rossas were soon down to
14 men as an apparent questionable strike from Michael Coleman who was ordered
to the line.  With little or no tackling
going in Ardboe were once again cut open and Omagh sailed over the final point
off the half in which a lot of possession was lost from not moving forward. Half
Time Ardboe 0-5 Omagh 1-6.

With a much improved performance needed in the second half,
Frank McGuigan got the scoring underway with seconds gone from a free
kick.  Shortly after a vital touch after possession
was lost again from Raymond McElroy in nets denied Omagh a chance of a second
goal. Soon both teams were to be playing with fourteen players after a strike
on Eugene Martin with ten minutes gone lead to unsavoury scenes on the
sideline. Getting back to football, Frank McGuigan from a very tight angel struck
over a free kick followed by an Omagh free kick. McGuigan again was called on
to reduce the defecate to 2 points and from about 45 yards our Paul Coney
hit over a great score to bring it to a one point game.  Kieran Devlin bursting through almost netted
but was denied by the cross bar. On the second time round Christy Cassidy came
along to net his score and Ardboe’s first goal of the game after the previous shot
from Eugene Devlin was saved and subsequently bagged by Cassidy. A few missed chances
as the game entered the last few minutes should have sealed it for the Rossas but
two final scores from the St. Endas, one being a free kick for an apparent off
the ball foul but that seemed more like a dive sealed victory for Omagh and
Ardboe’s first League defeat in Ballinderry. Team and Scores. R. McElroy, S.Forbes,
M. Coleman, G. Mooney, K.Devlin, G. Devlin, R.McGurk, J.McConville, E.Devlin,
N.O’Neill, G. Wylie, P.Coney(0-1), T. McGuigan(0-4), F. McGuigan(0-5),E.Martin.
Subs: C.Cassisy(1-0) and C.Campbell.

The reserves faired much better in their match and got back
to winning ways with a 5 point victory of the St. Endas side.  Full Time Ardboe 1-13 Omagh 1-8

By ciaranhurl Sun 20th Aug